Podcasting Tip: Speaking faster and more clearly

Our friends over at radiospeaker.it presentanother clever radio technique from the book Theories and Techniques on Radio Management.

Oftentimes radio hosts are expected to present a lot of information in a short amount of time, like 60 to 90 seconds. The goal is to speak quickly, yet articulate clearly.

It sounds difficult, but there’s a nifty little trick out there to help you with this skill: start practicing to speak with a pencil in your mouth once a day.

It’s exactly as it sounds, and all you have to do is keep a pencil between your teeth while you read out loud for about 10 to 20 minutes, concentrating on articulating with your jaw.

With this technique your face muscles and jaw really get a workout – kind of like lifting weights!  After the first 5 to 10 minutes of practicing, try rereading the text without a pencil: you’ll notice right away that you’re speed and clarity has already improved.

So try it out, let it us know how it works! (Of course, don’t try this with small items to avoid choking, and stop using this method if your jaw starts to ache.)

Happy broadcasting!

This entry was posted in Tips and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Podcasting Tip: Speaking faster and more clearly

1. camila says:

I want to see how this will work for my show

2. Thanks for this helpfully tip! I will practice a lot!

3. Thoroughmas says:

My pencil is now covered with slobber.

4. amarillis says:

i don’t know what to do exactly… Help….

5. Anna says:

Shoot us an email at info (at) spreaker (dot) com and we can help you!

6. I certainly am going to try it out!!!

7. Gary Russen says:

Wow I’ll try this. I went to college for radio broadcasting never before have I ever told to do this. Might just give it a shot before my next podcast and live broadcast let you know how it works. I normally show prep for my show which helps me, but sometimes I stumble for words this might help too with my newscast

8. Oh yes, this works, immediate improvement!

9. Clecnik says:

I did it with a really bad quality pencil. I chewed through it.
    FACT: led doesn’t taste very nice.