1. Astrology RoastThe Zodiac and all things horoscope are having a moment right now and Astrology Roast is your weekly fix of what’s happening with the 12 signs. But why does this particular podcast held a special place in our hearts? Because you can hear the love between friends Keren and Etai – and it’s infectious. What’s more, they don’t just chat star signs, there’s also pop culture, LGBTQ topics, and a lot more. Check out their awesome Instagram account to get a feel for what they’re about.
Picked episode: The Big RoastGet deep under the skin of the 12 signs and the four elements in the episode described as ‘the roastest roast’. This is the perfect episode to begin your listening journey with the pair, tune in as they pull apart each and every star sign and their most annoying characteristics
2. Cheers & QueersWant a podcast for a Friday or Saturday night? You’ve found it! This hilarious queer podcast invites you to plug in, pour a drink, and join in for the booziest podcast in town. Isake Smith and Kirya Traber discuss quite literally everything, from capitalism to gender and non-monogamy.
Picked Episode: Black Femme Magic IRLOur episode pick has a distinctly witchy vibe about it. Rituals, magic and a tarot reading between Kirya and Isake, are the focus of this episode, along with some all-important gin cocktail recipes! The duo is also joined by special guest, model and artist Lorelei Black, for chats.
3. Latter-Day LesbianThe Latter-Day Lesbian podcast is all about an ex-Mormon gay girl trying to figure out life. Hosts Mary & Shelly tackle religious trauma and later-in-life LGBTQ issues while laughing their asses off on a weekly podcast.
Picked Episode: Purity Culture Can Suck It!In this episode, the host’s interview Linda Kay Klein, author of Pure: Inside the Evangelical Movement That Shamed a Generation of Young Women and How I Broke Free. We chose this specific interview because it is a fascinating episode and one to not miss.
4. On the LatchThe format of On The Latch is 7 gay men chatting about everything, with no topic being off-limits. Episodes drop every Tuesday of this gay talk show style podcast, tune in and you’ll feel like you’re hanging out in a pub in London with your most fun group of friends.
Picked Episode: The 20gayteen ReviewDue to unprecedented times, the hosts decided to launch a brand new emergency season of the podcast, called the Quarantine season.
5. RuPaul’s Drag Race RHAP-UpIf you don’t know RuPaul’s Drag Race then, quite frankly, where have you been?! One of the first queer TV shows to break into pop culture, it’s now been running for ten years and is shown all over the world. The RHAP-Up, gives you all the extra info you want to know about each episode.
Picked Episode: RuPaul’s Drag Race Season 12 | Finale and ReunionSeason 12 has already wrapped up and All Stars Season 5 has just started, so why not tune in to listen to all that tea hunty. In this episode, listeners get a full overview of the finale, reunion, and all three virtual lipsyncs of RuPaul’s Drag Race Season 12.
6. Hard to SwallowEmery Lavell J is your host of this black LGBTQ podcast where he discusses all the topics which he brands ‘hard to swallow’. There are hot topics, relationship advice, sex, and a whole bunch more – all told with a warmth that makes you love him and leaves you wanting to listen to more.
Picked Episode: BlistersThe episode Blisters gets its name from the troubled relationship between black sisters (cis-gender heterosexual women) and black gay cis men- a supportive but difficult relationship. Plus, Emery looks at lots more pressing current issues for the LGBTQ community.
7. Living a Sex Positive LifeSexual freedom and liberty through education and knowledge are what Living a Sex Positive Life is all about. Sex is always the center of this podcast but the topics range from the positives and negatives of all that sex encompasses.
Picked Episode: Consent AcademyAn extremely difficult topic and one which is currently being much discussed in the media: sexual consent. Hosts Angelique and Ignixia discuss their thoughts on the subject following attending a related workshop.
8. LGBT ChatEvery week host Aida Ramirez invites a variety of LGBTQA friends and allies onto the LGBT Chat to share stories and anecdotes with the community.
Picked Episode: In The Presence of IgnoranceIn this episode hosts Angel and Aida talk with friend Tammy about an unpleasant experience she had while trying to resolve a billing issue at urgent care. This leads to a discussion about the disparities and discrimination individuals of the LGBT community end up facing every day.
9. That Lil Gay Talk Show!A gay podcast that pretty much sounds like any other podcast but the twist is that it is from Houston, Texas. Host Joen Tatum talks about everything, from politics, movies to cultural stuff, but from a gay man’s perspective.
Picked Episode: Queer, Bothered and BewilderedIn this episode, like many of his episodes, Joel talks about his hobbies, cooking, and the new normal.
10. Feast of Fun: Gay Talk ShowFeasts of Fun features conversations with legendary LGBTQ+ people, comedians, pop culture, and politics with a delicious candy coating of camp. Hosts Marc Felion and Fausta Fernós have done thousands of shows with wonderfully wild LGBTQ people and their friends, and tackle the tough questions like: is Sasquatch a drag queen? How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop? (Just crack the damn lollipop like the owl did.)
Picked Episode: Alaska Thunderfuck Battles the SharknadoTick tock, you’ve been clocked… by a shark! If you thought Drag Race All-Stars was a treacherous tornado, wait until you catch Alaska Thunderfuck in The Last Sharknado: It’s About Time. In this episode, Alaska talks about being part of The Last Sharknado film and her thoughts on playing the daughter of Star Trek’s Marina Sirtis in the movie.
· · ·There you have it, podcasts which in equal measure celebrate LGBTQ culture, investigate the important issues, and are provocative. (This blog article was originally published in 2019, and was updated for 2020)