Spreaker Live Show host and Head of Content Rob Greenlee speaks with radio industry legend and former Seattle Mariners owner Jeffrey H. Smulyan, Chairman, CEO, and Founder Emmis Communications Corporation, an Indianapolis–based radio and publishing company with operations in 9 U.S. markets.
Jeff is widely recognized as one of the most visionary leaders in the radio industry. He is also the leading advocate of getting FM-enabled wireless devices in smartphones. He shepherded the unification of the radio industry behind the installation of the Emmis-created NextRadio application in a broad array of FM-enabled wireless devices, allowing consumers to listen to their local radio stations without data charges.
Emmis owns and operates 19 FM and 4 AM radio stations in the nation’s largest markets and city/regional magazines, including national titles Texas Monthly and Los Angeles. Emmis owns the two top hip-hop brands in the world, KPWR Power 106 in Los Angeles and HOT 97 in New York City.
Click read more to see the specific topics discussed in this 19 minute interview.
Show Guest Topics:
- Jeff tells us about Emmis Communications and what the company operates in those 9 US markets?
- How does Jeff sees US commercial radio stations changing formats over the next few years to appeal to millennial?
- Does Jeff think Public Radio’s formats and quality impact commercial radio?
- Whether he thinks commercial talk radio will adding more on-demand / podcasting?
- Should radio stations develop new talk radio talent by creating original audio podcast shows at the local level?
- How will CarPlay and Android Auto impact talk radio stations and audio distribution and listening in the car?
- What are Jeff’s thoughts on metrics around download distribution and advertiser support of podcasts. What is IAB’s role?
- Jeff gives an update on NextRadio and the possibility of adding audio podcasts to the app?
Show Guest Links:
Jacobs Media Blog post about Jeff Smulyan’s NextRadio app